Last weekend I did a course with The Running Clinic looking at the current research surrounding trends in running injuries. We discussed pretty much every aspect of running injuries (it was 20 hours in total😳) from training errors to stretching, as well as how to choose the right running shoes. The information was geared towards health care professionals and how to help manage injuries in our patients, but I figured “hey, I’m a runner and as a runner this info is super helpful…why not share it!” So I thought the best thing to do was test your knowledge first…because everyone loves tests right?! #saidnooneever 😜 Take the quiz and answer TRUE or FALSE to the questions below👇 Check back in a few days and see how you scored!
1. MORE THAN 80% OF RUNNING INJURIES CAN BE EXPLAINED BY OVERLOAD (too much, too fast, too soon).
2. RUNNING TOO LITTLE (frequency and volume) CAN CAUSE MORE INJURIES.
3. STRETCHING BEFORE RUNNING HELPS TO PREVENT INJURIES AND DECREASE DELAYED ONSET MUSCLE SORENESS.
4. ONE OF THE BEST STRENGTHENING WORKOUTS FOR RUNNERS IS TO RUN BAREFOOT.
5. CUSHIONING AND MOTION CONTROL TECHNOLOGIES (i.e. stability or anti-prontion technology) IN RUNNING SHOES DECREASE THE RISK OF INJURIES.
6. LONG TIME MARATHON RUNNERS ARE MORE SUSCEPTIBLE TO DEVELOPING EARLY KNEE OSTEOARTHRITIS.
7. UNDER-HYDRATION DURING ENDURANCE EVENTS SUCH AS MARATHONS IS THE LEADING CAUSE FOR MEDICAL COMPLICATIONS.
8. OPTIMIZING RUNNING CADENCE (steps you take per minute) IS ONE OF THE MOST EFFECTIVE TOOLS FOR IMPROVING RUNNING PERFORMANCE.
***Remember, these answers are based on the BEST research that we have right now.